12 May 2010

Day Eight Wednesday 12 May

I made this a busy day. We got going about eleven this morning and the first stop was Colchester. Wonder of wonders, I find a parking space in Priory Street car park - the special deal was £2 for three hours. The first thing was a snack with a large cup of black coffee for me; then the un-touristy visit to a music store and a book shop.

The Castle Museum is showing part one of a special exhibit about mediaeval life which included this book of plainchant notation:

As I mentioned from my visit last year one follows a chronological telling of the history of the area with models, reproduction exhibits to touch, and examples of clothing to wear. I didn't get the toga quite right:

The flowers in Upper Castle Park still looked good and on the Bowls Club house the new thatch I saw being applied last year is already weathered.

And I managed to get a picture of the friendly magpie:
One for sorrow, two for joy . . . .
But he wasn't obliging enough to stay still for any length of time.

We wuz 'ere

The river Colne is tidal as far up river as Colchester Hythe and Marriages Flour Mill, seeing that the tide was low I knew we could get across the Strood to Mersea Island safely without being held up. Went to Cudgrove Country Park at East  Mersea so Chris and Steve could get their first glimpse of the North Sea beyond the Blackwater/Colne estuary.
Brightlingsea across the Colne

Yet another view of Bradwell power station across the Blackwater

And here is a reminder of the danger England was in seventy years ago:


No comments:

Post a Comment